Dear Friend of the Arts;
This short document is meant to share some basic information for individuals who have expressed an interest in becoming more involved with the work of Heights Arts, whose mission is “To celebrate the literary, musical and visual artists of the region and share their contributions with the
Heights Arts recently completed a three-year strategic plan. It has four key goals: expand and strengthen our board, develop a sustainable business model, broaden the organization’s visibility in and service to the community, and diversify all aspects of the organization to better reflect the eclectic community we serve.
In pursuing our mission and the goals of our plan, we have committed to the following core values:
• Excellence in programs and services to the community
• Welcome people of all walks of life
• Collaborate with others to serve the community in depth
• Commit to financial and environmental sustainability
• Affirm the intrinsic value of the arts
Below is a very brief overview of the organization’s programs and services, which play out in more than 60 public events that connect artists and community each year. Also below is a summary of the expectations we have for service as a member of our Board of Directors.
We would welcome the opportunity to talk with you about how you might be willing and able to help us move ahead in our mission. The first step in that process is for you to fill out the Board Application, which will give us a little more information about you. We will then set up a meeting with a member of our Governance Committee to share additional information and answer questions you may have.
Again, thank you for your interest in Heights Arts.
Governance Committee Members
OVERVIEW: HEIGHTS ARTS
OUR CORE PROGRAMS
• Five major curated group exhibitions annually
• SPOTLIGHT: Five individual artist exhibitions selected by artist application
• Annual Holiday Store featuring gift items by local artists
• Public art projects in Cleveland Heights in collaboration with local government and businesses
• CLOSE ENCOUNTERS: Uniquely programmed chamber concert series in various community settings,
performed by Cleveland Orchestra members
• Gallery Concerts: free, eclectic small ensemble concerts in the gallery
• Master classes for youth, delivered by local professional musicians.
• Poet Laureate: Heights Arts sponsors the longest running Laureateship in Ohio
• EKPHRASTACY: Five evenings of poetry inspired by the work on exhibit in the gallery
• Haiku Death Match: a fun, irreverent evening of competitive haiku poetry with the audience voting
on their favorite to be the next Haiku Master
Heights Arts is generously supported by Cuyahoga Arts and Culture, the Ohio Arts Council and a number of local private foundations. We earn revenue through ticket sales and commissions on the sale of art work.
In addition, Heights Arts has recently launched its first major benefit, which will become an annual, high profile event which, coupled with our membership and annual fund campaigns, continue to broaden our fundraising efforts and support the organization.
Download the Heights Arts Board Prospect SummaryHEIGHTS ARTS BOARD APPLICATION
SUMMARY INFORMATION for Prospective Heights Arts Board Members
Aside from spending time with other smart and passionate art lovers, service on the Board carriesspecific expectations. Briefly, all members of Heights Arts’ Board are expected to:
• Attend at least four of the six yearly meetings of the Board (second Mondays; January, March, May, July, September, November) and its annual Retreat (February).
• Serve actively on at least one standing committee of the organization
• Assist with and attend one or more annual programs of the organization.
• Advocate for the organization in the community and personal and professional networks.
• Thoughtfully review financial and governance documents and actively discuss matters of policy.
• Contribute relevant professional skills to support the organization in appropriate ways.
Board members are expected to make Heights Arts a priority for their philanthropic giving – each according to his or her means. Specifically, members are expected to:
• Maintain a membership in the organization at an appropriate level.
• Make an additional contribution to the organization’s annual campaign at a level that is meaningful to you.
• Support, in appropriate ways and/or means, the organization’s fundraising efforts and events.