CALL FOR ART BOOKS EXHIBITION
Artist’s Books at Heights Arts
Northeast Ohio artists are invited to submit works for a new exhibition of artist’s books running August 19 to October 16, 2022 at Heights Arts, 2175 Lee Road in Cleveland Heights, Ohio.
Visual artists have long been fascinated by books, often as a way to distribute reproductions of original works. This exhibition is not about reproductions, but about books that themselves are one-of-a-kind works of art, designed to be held in the hands and leafed through in a narrative sequence.
This exhibit is open to handmade book and paper arts related works, sketchbooks, and commercially printed artists’ books created either in edition or as a one-of-a-kind work. Works in progress are also encouraged under the assumption they will be completed by the exhibition deadline.
Entries must be received online no later than April 30, 2022; there will be no exceptions. All artists submitting to this exhibition will be notified via email by June 23, 2022.
Entries will be juried by members of the Heights Arts’ Exhibition Community Team made up of community volunteers.
SUBMISSIONS (ALL ELECTRONIC) MUST INCLUDE:
• 5 photos showing various views of the book
• One to three paragraphs describing the book
• Images of and notes about any related materials that might be displayed on nearby walls such as process pictures or original pieces referenced in the book.
• Dimensions open and closed, page count, materials used in fabrication, and whether and under what conditions the book may be handled by visitors.
• Artist name, contact information, and a short bio.
• Submissions that do not meet these requirements will not be reviewed.
• Please make sure that your images are high resolution and adequately represent the work you are interested in exhibiting.
• DO NOT include pages which include personal/press names or colophon pages. Any submission materials that include identifiable artist or press names will be removed from consideration.
• Composite images are not acceptable. One view per image submitted only.
RELATED MATERIALS & CONSIDERATIONS:
• All work should demonstrate the highest level of craft.
• Work in languages other than English is welcome; however, an English translation must accompany the work.
• All submission materials viewed by jurors must be anonymous in order to ensure a fair and unbiased jury process. Note that each work’s images and the required artist statement and book description will be key to the jurying process.
• Heights Arts will block the artist’s identifying information before viewing by jurors, but note that it is the artist’s responsibility to remove their name and press name from the images and artistic statement before they submit.
• March 1, 2022 to April 30, 2022 – Applications accepted for consideration
• June 23, 2022: Artists notified of acceptance
• August 11, 2022 to August 15, 2022: artwork delivery
• August 19, 2022 5pm-8pm : Exhibition opening reception
• September 22, 2022: Ekphrastacy Artist Talk + Poets respond emore information here
• October 16, 2022: Exhibition closes
• October 17, 2022 to October 24, 2022: All unsold works picked up
• Works will be sold according to the standard Heights Arts commission, with 60% of the price going to the artist and 40% to Heights Arts.
• Heights Arts reserve the right to decline any accepted artwork upon delivery if the condition or quality is other than represented in the electronic entry.
• Sold works remain on view through the run of the exhibition and may be picked up by purchasers after October 16, 2022.
• Any unsold works not picked up by October 24, 2022 become the property of Heights Arts.
Questions may be directed to email@example.comAPPLY HERE