Rolling Open Call for Poets
If you are a poet in Northeast Ohio, we welcome your application to perform in the Heights Arts EKPHRASTACY Series.
The Ekphrastacy literary program is a series of artist talks + poetry readings held regularly in the Heights Arts gallery, in conjunction with our special exhibitions. Cleveland-area writers are invited by the current Poet Laureate to view the installed artworks and respond with a poem. Four weeks after the exhibition opens, the artists talk about their work and the poets read their poems, often resulting in a surprising dialogue. Participating poets receive an honorarium of $150.00 for their participation and the commissioning of a minimum of two and no more than five works.
- Be available and agree to attend the corresponding opening for the event in which you are chosen to participate. This is a chance to see the work at the earliest opportunity and meet the artists. Poets may also be asked to attend a group meeting in the space after viewing the exhibition to coordinate who will be writing about which works. This will be coordinated with the current Poet Laureate.
- Submit titles of poems 14 days prior to the Ekphrastacy event (unless otherwise noted by the Poet Laureate). Complete and submit final drafts of poems at least 7 days prior to the Ekphrastacy event (unless otherwise noted by the Poet Laureate).
- Be a current Heights Arts Working Artist Member (starting at $35.00 per year). You do not have to be a member to apply, but participation as a paid poet is considered a member perk. (NOT CURRENTLY APPLICABLE.)
Please be prepared to:
1. Attach a sample of your work, with a minimum of 3 poems and no more than 3 pages of poetry in a single file.
2. Document your background and experience in the art form. If your work has been published, please tell us where, and / or where you have previously performed.
3. Describe how you have been involved in other community arts events, if applicable (but not required)
4. Provide promotional materials including a headshot and bio about yourself. Should you be selected, you will be asked to help promote your program by connecting and interecting with Heights Arts on social media.
5. Notify Heights Arts if you CANNOT be considered for any of the following upcoming Ekphrastacy dates:
- Prismatic Group Exhibition and Spotlight: Amelia C. Joynes (January 12 to March 10, 2024) Ekphrastacy: February 15, 2024, 7:00 pm
- Irrational Objects — Looking Backward into the Future (March 15 to May 12, 2024) Ekphrastacy: April 18, 2024, 7:00 pm
- Emergent 2024 (June 14 to August 11, 2024) Ekphrastacy: July 18, 2024, 7:00 pm
6. OPTIONAL: Upload a You Tube or other electronic link to a video of you reading your work.
Heights Arts cultivates a strong, collaborative arts community by inspiring people of all ages to engage in the arts; providing exhibition and performance opportunities; and fostering public appreciation for the arts.
• Excellence in programs and services to the community
• Be welcoming to people of all walks of life
• Collaborate with others to serve the community in depth
• Commit to financial and environmental sustainability
• Affirm the intrinsic value of the arts to human society
- IMPORTANT: the Team cannot evaluate your submission if you do not provide links / examples of your work.
- Application Deadline: Applications can be submitted at any time.