Dear Friend of the Arts,
This page includes basic information for individuals who have expressed an interest in becoming more involved with the work of Heights Arts as a member of the Board of Directors.
TAKE THE FIRST STEP!
Should you have an interest in joining our board, please complete the online application. A member of the Governance Committee will be in touch to meet with you, share additional information, and answer your questions. There is no obligation when you apply, it is simply a way to alert us to your interest, and start the process to determine if there is a mutual good fit.
Thank you for your interest in Heights Arts!
To celebrate the literary, musical and visual artists of the region and share their contributions with the community.
The organization’s current strategic plan has four key goals:
- expand and strengthen our board
- develop a sustainable business model
- broaden the organization’s visibility in and service to the community
- diversify all aspects of the organization to better reflect the eclectic community we serve.
OUR CORE VALUES
- Maintain excellence in programs and services to the community
- Welcome people of all walks of life
- Collaborate with others to serve the community in depth
- Commit to financial and environmental sustainability
- Affirm the intrinsic value of the arts
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for remarkable people to join the Heights Arts Board of Trustees to facilitate the direction and philosophy of our organization. Heights Arts is looking to expand and deepen the board in some specific areas. First and foremost, we want people who are passionate about Heights Arts’ mission. In addition, there are some specific needs we’ve identified as a result of the goals and values spelled out in our strategic plan.
- We are keenly interested in expanding the geographic diversity of our board to include members from the ‘Greater Heights’ suburbs (and beyond) to better reflect our broad service area.
- We are also highly interested in better reflecting the ethnic diversity of our community. We welcome applications from early and mid-career professionals.
- In terms of skills, our board would benefit greatly from membership by people with legal, financial and human resources skills, those with retail and business technology expertise, and, of course, fundraising experience.
Heights Arts’ programs are determined by our dedicated Volunteer Community Teams, comprised of team members with expertise and connections in each of our three disciplines. Board members may also apply for and serve on one of Heights Arts’ Community Teams if they have particular skills that can enhance our programming. More about our community teams HERE
OUR COMMITMENT TO INCLUSIVITY
Our goal at Heights Arts is to broadly represent and give voice to all elements of our community through the arts. In that spirit, Heights Arts welcomes diverse voices in its staff, board, volunteers, participating artists, and audiences. We encourage people of any race or ethnicity, background, economic status, gender, visible (physical) or invisible disability to engage with us. Regarding personal challenges or disabilities, we will, within our capacity, work to provide accommodations.
ABOUT THE BOARD
We are such a fun organization, and people care deeply about one or more (or all!) disciplines we support. Service on the Board offers creative and fulfilling opportunities as well as important responsibilities. Our Board serves as policy makers and financial stewards of Heights Arts. Board members participate in all policy deliberations as a committee of the whole. In addition, they are active on committees and subcommittees, keeping the board informed and supporting Heights Arts’ mission and core values, such as maintaining excellence in programming, sustainability in our financial and business operations, and fulfilling our strategic goal of broad service to our diverse community and its artists.
Our Board adheres to the three classic legal duties of a Board: Duty of Care, Obedience and Loyalty. Specifically, Board service includes:
- Setting policy for the organization through developing and implementing its strategic plan
- Supporting and assuring Heights Arts’ financial sustainability through fundraising, personal contributions and budget oversight
- Assuring the organization follows all legal requirements for nonprofit organizations through its by-laws
- Advocacy for the organization above any interests in personal benefit
- Active participation in committee work, programs and events.
Our Heights Arts Board Prospect Summary with a more detailed description of Board expectations can be viewed or downloaded.